Favorites ()
A grad student works from his home office space

School of Social Work

Become a Field Instructor

Host one of our students

Field education is one of the most impactful components of social work education. Many of us remember our first field placement and our early supervisors. These formative impressions inform our careers. Agency-based training, supervision and mentoring is a hallmark of social work education and practice. You can continue this legacy by becoming a field instructor.

For more information, please contact Christa Bobick, field information coordinator.


Christa Bobick

Field Information Coordinator
Phone Number
(651) 962-5806
A woman in a mask hands paperwork to a client

Become a Field Instructor

Here’s How It Works

Field instructors are responsible for the student's education and training in an agency setting. The field instructor supervises and teaches social work knowledge, values and skills and evaluates student performance.

The Field Education faculty and staff work closely with you to support each student's success. Field faculty liaisons visit you and your student, typically twice a year. Liaisons are available for phone consultation or additional visits, as needed.

The Benefits and Rewards


  • Professional development with 6-10 hours of free continuing education events per year, including ethics and supervision content
  • Invitations to additional workshops, trainings, and events through the School of Social Work


  • On-going engagement with social work education and research
  • Workforce development: social work interns make great candidates for full-time employment in your agency
two individuals doing wood working

Use your experience to make a difference

Requirements for Becoming a Field Instructor

  • All Field Instructors supervising BSW students must have a social work degree and license or be included in the legal exemption category. All field instructors must have two years of post-BSW or MSW experience.
  • All Field Instructors supervising MSW students must have an MSW, two years of post-MSW experience and be licensed in the state of Minnesota.